Poem time

The weeks are flying by!

We're still having heaps of fun over here. Don't get me wrong - it's not all rainbows and unicorns pooping jellybeans. The kids still have meltdowns and to be honest, so does Mummy, but we're alright. We're still enjoying each other and doing heaps of stuff we never really had time for before, (or made time for).

Somehow, lockdown has been some of the best weeks of my life. It's been a lot of joy and togetherness in a way that I've never appreciated before.There were a couple of low points too. One of them just a few days ago and it hit me rather unexpectedly. I said something that I shouldn't have and I prayed about it and felt that I needed to confess it to God and ask for his forgiveness. So, I did. But, I kept thinking about it. I just didn't feel forgiven. Foreign thoughts kept popping into my head, saying Are you sure? Are you really forgiven? How can Jesus forgive you for what you said? How can someone like you be good enough? How can you be close to Jesus when you do things like that? These thoughts kept swirling round in my head.

I didn't understand why the weight of my sin was still on me. I thought Jesus is supposed to take it away. Well, why is it not gone? I found myself feeling more and more down. I kept praying, kept asking God to fix whatever is going on. I kept the conversation going, even though it was feeling more and more like I was talking to a wall. That's not how it usually feels when I talk to God and I was starting to get downright panicky about it. Desperate and frantic. Where is He? I listened to some worship music but it just didn't feel the same.

Then, after a few days, while listening to a song, God broke the wall down. Just like that. Flattened. I felt his presence again. This is the song I was listening to Dancing on the Waves and it was the perfect reminder to me that He would never just let me go like that. I really encourage you to listen to it. It declared the truth that I was blind to (for a little while) and I realized the thoughts that came to me about Jesus were simply not true. I saw what happened for what it was. The enemy is always trying to separate us from the love of God. Sometimes it makes me forget that I'm free and drives me back into my slave mentality. I was the one holding onto what I did, not God. All those doubts and questioning that was entering my head were not based on truth.

Am I sure that I'm forgiven? Yes! Jesus died for me.

How can Jesus forgive me for what I did? He already has forgiven me everything.

How can someone like me be good enough?  How can I be close to Jesus when I do things like that?He sees my heart and knows how sorry I am. That's good enough for him. My sins pile up but His love and mercy is greater. Jesus died for me so that I could be close to him and leave the past even though I'm nowhere near perfect. That's the beauty of the whole thing!

After coming out of my weird little funk, I wanted to write down some stuff that would help me remember that God is always with me. I wanted something that would remind me of his goodness in my life. His character. His love. I wanted to remind myself of who He is - my King, my constant Friend, my Saviour, my Counselor, my Peace and my Joy. It started out as just a few little bits and pieces that I wrote for myself to remember, but then it turned into a poem and the next thing I knew, I had written the longest poem of my life! God wanted me to share it with you guys, so here it is.

 I hope you find something in it that comforts you and tells you of the unfailing love of Jesus xx


When I’m feeling weak
you are my source of strength
When perseverance still falls short
you are my endless length

When I feel misunderstood
you know my history
When I feel defeated
you are my victory

When I’m feeling low
you are the highest height
When I think I’m not enough
I’m precious in your sight

When I’ve nothing left at all
I know that you’re still mine
My plans may fail and fall apart
but yours are all divine

When long nights all merge as one
you’re the soft voice in the dark
And when my scars are aching so
you soothe my every mark

When I’ve waited far too long
your patient love is timeless
When life has all but stripped me bare
you clothe me with your kindness

When the whole world’s changing
you always stay the same
When I feel forgotten
you call me by my name

When my world is caving in
you hold up every pillar
When the waves surge back and forth
you make the waters stiller

When turmoil builds inside my head
you know my every fear
When I weep, you weep with me
you see my every tear

When I’m feeling overwhelmed
you are my anchor strong
When I feel I don’t fit in
you’re right where I belong

When I’m sitting in the dark
you see me plain as day
When my heart is hurting
you take the sting away

When I’m feeling so alone
your presence fills my soul
When promises are broken
your words will remain whole

When I’m feeling lost
you are my one true home
When I’ve reached my limits
there’s nowhere you can’t go

When I have no words
you know my thoughts completely
When I feel unreachable
you’re always right beside me

When I’m feeling vulnerable
you shield me with your wing
When my hands are empty
you give me everything

When I want to walk away
you are my staying power
When I forget how loved I am
you tell me every hour

When everything feels hopeless
you are my hope and light
And when my joy has faded
you are my heart’s delight

When my strength is sapped
you’re the one who helps me stand
When I feel I’m falling
you hold me in your hand

When I don’t understand myself
I’m no mystery to you
When I feel unworthy
it’s me you still pursue

When there’s nothing left in me
you are my strength and fight
When the love has turned lukewarm
you set my soul alight

When the embers have gone cold
it’s you who lights the fire
When I’ve lost all I used to have
you are my one desire

When love has reached its borders
your love for me is wild
When the storm keeps raging on
you calm your fearful child

When pleas are falling on deaf ears
you hear my every cry
When other people come and go
you’ll never say goodbye

When my failures dragged me down
you made them disappear
When I could not move at all
you died to lead me here

When I needed guidance
you said, “Come follow me”
When I was blinded by my fear
you healed my eyes to see

When my heart is all in pieces
you hold it all together
When others let me down again
your love endures forever

When my mind is filled with doubt
your faithfulness is clear
When hidden motives lurk around
your deep love draws me near

When things feel out of my control
you show me you are King
When I come against a wall
you break through anything

When my walls are going up
you talk them down again
When I feel imprisoned
you shatter every chain

When my heart is longing
you comfort me with peace
When my love is fickle
your love will never cease

When darkness hides your face
your peace is not concealed
When it seemed that death had won
by your wounds I’m healed

When I let you down
you forgive me my mistake
When my sins engulf me
your death was for my sake

When human nature’s ugly
your mercy always wins
While my faults were vast
you forgave me all my sins

When a multitude of failures grow
sufficient is your grace
So when I need you here with me
I simply seek your face

I’ll sing your praise for always
you settled all my debt
Forever I will follow you
you’ve never failed me yet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Newborn...

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you."

Discovering My Worth