Love People


Another blog post? So soon! Yes, I've had some thoughts brewing and think it's time they came out! In my last post I talked a bit about how I’ve felt such a stirring from God to make each day count. Before, I didn’t really think much of getting to the end of the day without really helping anyone. Yeah, I helped people sometimes, but I didn’t seek out opportunities to help. If someone asked me for help, I would have happily obliged. But, that’s not enough, is it?

I want to be proactive. I want to be a do-er. I don’t want to procrastinate or hide from what I feel God is asking me to do. If I feel a strong conviction about something, I want to get in there and do my bit. Some people go through life rather silently and fearfully and they never actually do anything to make a positive difference in the world. I feel like I’ve been one of those people. I feel like I’ve been asleep and have just woken up, as well as frozen in fear but it’s been melting around me the last few months, dripping off, the layer getting thinner and thinner and I’m just about strong enough to break through that last layer that’s left. I don’t feel content to stay still. I wasn’t created to stay still. We can’t help people that way. In difficult situations, everyone’s telling people that God will provide but often no one is actually doing anything. Thing is though, God frequently works through people. Here on earth, we are his hands, feet, arms, mouth, ears and eyes. The people who can manage to take the focus off themselves long enough, realize that God has put somebody in their track that is hurting and in need. I pray for God to use me, but do I follow through? I think I kind of block out His voice for fear of what He might ask me to do.

There have been times that I’ve felt a prompting from God to talk to somebody or do something – but it’s often out of my comfort zone and sometimes I chicken out. Straight away, I feel a pang in my heart. Backing out was not the right thing to do. Perhaps that’s not how it may look to other people and probably they wouldn’t even think of it as something I should have done, but in my heart I know that God spoke to me and I didn’t listen. Thankfully, I serve a God of mercy and grace! He faithfully continues to wipe the slate clean and lets me try again and again, reminding me that if I do my bit, He will meet me on the other side to help me, to do what I cannot. I don’t need to know what God is going to do, how, and when. I only need to know that He is with me. He will not leave me hanging. I just need to trust Him.

Recently, in search of how Jesus wants me to love people, I came across the Bible verses below.

5 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Matthew 25:35-40

I felt such a conviction. Yes, I’ve fed and clothed people, but not so much people who really needed it. It wasn’t a habit of mine. I was adamant that I was not just going to ‘feel convicted’ and then carry on living in my little bubble. I was going to do something. So, I went to the supermarket, bought some supplies (food, toothbrush, toothpaste, thermal socks etc.), looked up where to go and hopped in the car. I was going to find myself a homeless person! I was going to actually make it my business to help them. So, I did. I knew it would feel good, and it did, but what I was unprepared for was how it would change me from the inside out. Since then, I’ve thought a lot about this person, the reality of how they live every day. How cold it is outside. The worn look on his face. His suffering became personal. I started understanding. Maybe he was a drug addict, like many people say homeless people are. Maybe not. Does it matter? I don’t think so. I don’t think that would deter Jesus. He spent a lot of time in the company of people whom others steered clear of. Judgement has no place here. All I know is that God wants me to pour His love on people.

The strange thing was that I felt confident about doing that. At no point did I chicken out. I know for sure that wasn’t me – it was God giving me courage and spurring me on to do his works. I take no credit for it. I could not have done it on my own. What an amazing God.

After doing that, I felt so much more confident that I could tackle this ‘fear’ thing head on. With God, anything is possible.  At this stage, I feel like I am like a first-time bungy jumper. I want to do it. I’ve come all this way. I’m standing on the edge and the countdown is on. I’m trusting that the rope is sturdy and can hold my weight. It looks strong. It feels strong. It is strong. Now, I just have to do my bit by jumping and let the rope do its job. I’m free-falling but I know that at some point I’ll bounce back, because the rope has been tethered to me securely. It’s got me. I’ll be fine.

“So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10

When I stare at my barriers, the fear of them overwhelm me. I’ve got to keep my eyes on the prize, not the difficulties. I’ve got to take a glance at my problems but stare at Jesus. I’ve had so much fear in my life. So much and for so long. I sometimes struggle to see how I will ever be free from it. But as I’m pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone and stepping across, each time, my fears become smaller and smaller. The fears are getting weaker and weaker. And that’s how it’s done. Bit by bit. It may seem or feel like a long road, but eventually I will get far from where I am right now and look back. I will see my footprints snaking way back and disappearing into the distance.

Guys, I’m learning that trust doesn’t just appear in our lives, it is cultivated as we take steps of faith and experience God’s faithfulness.

Take a leap, you won't be sorry for it xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Newborn...

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you."

Discovering My Worth